Beautiful Noises Hey Kt - The Never Ever Sway Sway Baby - Short St... Shut Up! - Simple Plan

Monday, January 2, 2012

Reflections and Resolutions

Hey everyone!

No, I have not entirely disappeared off the face of the planet... I have joined the workforce as I think I mentioned and it is insane, especially around Christmas. For those of you who don't work yet... enjoy it!

So, 2011 has seen me actually start this blog... one year coming up very quickly! This year I've been overseas without my family for the first time... well, it was the first time I've ever been away from my family for any more than a week. It was completely life changing, and I think anyone who's reading this should consider seeing more than just your corner of the world. Who knows... you may even fall in love with somewhere different... and that's without mentioning the people you meet! I've also gone through two jobs... hard to believe for a fifteen year old, I guess, but very much true.

Luckily for me, 2012 looks just as bright. I start my first of my two senior years at high school, a course at uni and I turn sixteen... which means I can finally get my L's! I got a scholarship to study Indonesian at the local university, so instead of taking six subjects at school I only have to take five. But it does mean lectures and tutorials once a week, so maybe a little less blogging than I would like... I'm still looking forward to it!

One of the biggest highlights of this year would be the people I have met. And not just my New Zealand friends. I have met my favourite bands... The Never Ever and The Monster Goes Rawrr... and made some new favourites... think The Electro Kid and Nine Sons of Dan.

So that leads me to my next topic, though I'm not going to make this a complete essay... you know how before the fireworks on New Years Eve, channel nine (well, I don't know about the others) does a countdown of the 'greatest musical hits of 2011?' I was watching that and I was actually so disappointed. What has the music industry come to if the main music videos that are televised are basically all the same- alcohol and half naked girls? And where exactly are their instruments?

Personally, I don't think that's what music is about. For me, it's about telling a story that is catchy and that people can relate to. It's self expression. But pop music is becoming centered around being like everyone else. Why is that so important though? Here's some of the songs that I thought are worthy of a mention.

Geeks Will Inherit The Earth- I Fight Dragons (you cannot possibly say that you do not love this song. It's relatable and catchy!)

At Sixes And Sevens- The Never Ever (stay tuned with these guys- with a brand new band member, Pat Ortiz and the fine vocal magic of Dylan Nash, their brand new EP, Tipsy, is sure to be a win! It's going to be out very, very soon, hopefully this month even- cannot wait!)

The Eastern Sky- Adventure Land (I really like this one; it's something a bit different to the upbeat songs that are also grace Part One.)

Hero- New Empire (I think this would have to be one of my favourite songs of recent times. I know it didn't come out this year, but it's worth a shout out anyway!)

Wherever You Are- Short Stack (you didn't think I'd completely ignore them, did you? Art Vandelay, their new album should be coming out some time soon, and if their latest releases are anything to go by, I'd say it's worth checking out!)

For Yourself- The Electro Kid (just listen and let this song speak for itself. Enough said.)

Shut Up and Dance- The Monster Goes Rawrr (the latest piece of work from these four lovely people lives up to their standard of catchy and fun- I love it and you will too!)

Deer In The Headlights- Owl City (this provoked my new-found love for Owl City. Listen and you will understand.)

Somebody That I Used To Know- Gotye feat. Kimbra (very mainstream for my usual tastes but it's a really good song. It's finally something DIFFERENT yet it still made it's way onto the charts and did extremely well- we need music like this!)

She's So Fine- Nine Sons of Dan (very. Good. Song.)

And that is my top ten!

Question: what are your new year's resolutions, if you have them? Mine would have to be to take every opportunity that comes my way, post WAY more often (I've been absolutely terrible, I'm sorry!!) and to take a chance and let people know what they mean to me... maybe something magic will come out of it...

Sayonara, fellow ninjas!! xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Hey there, i have always loved your blog and your old comments on my old blog. I made a new one. New me! Could you follow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there; I remember! I really liked your old blog; I will definitely follow you! Thanks for your comment!:)

    ReplyDelete