Beautiful Noises Hey Kt - The Never Ever Sway Sway Baby - Short St... Shut Up! - Simple Plan

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

How Important I Think Education Is (A Nerd's Perspective)

If you ask me this question, I am likely to respond with the word "very". I know school isn't everyone's cup of tea, so to speak, and some people just do better working than they ever would at school. Which is fine; when you're working, you're still learning. You're learning a specific set of skills that apply to what you're doing as opposed to the general academic stuff that you may not use, depending on what you actually want to do with your life.

Being the nerd that I am and taking on an extra workload through the university and another school, it's pretty obvious that I like school. For the most part. I think that a lot of what you learn at school is important- you may not use quadratic equations or the PEEL structure in your every day life, but when you get to senior, education becomes really important- while the way of teaching something is not necessarily relevant for the rest of your life, I think there is a skill that they are actually teaching you.

That made no sense, so I will clarify.

I, for one, am sick of learning the PEEL structure. If you don't know that yet, it's the formula for writing the body paragraphs of an essay: Point, Evidence, Explain, Link. Maybe your school has a different acronym, or maybe that just got you an A. Who knows. Anyhow, that's been pretty much done to death over the past few weeks for me. In English and Legal Studies it's been drummed into us, and I know I'm not the only one who's sick of it. I also know that there are a whole bunch of people who sit there doing their homework like this:


I think that while PEEL itself is not relevant in any way, shape or form beyond school, however with it is a skill that is. Communication. You need communication skills all the time- how else are you supposed to write a resume?!

The same goes for other subjects. Maths teaches you problem solving. Even though understanding linear functions won't necessarily affect the rest of your life depending on what you actually choose to do, it's problem solving skills. Ever had a look at the worded questions- the big, scary ones- in your text book? Something about comparing this salary to this one and seeing which pays better? Or which admission price is cheaper? That kind of thing is handy.

Anyway, I've had enough of talking about school and education as my brain is now on holidays. And so, I am about to go and eat something and watch some kind of movie.

Sayonara, fellow ninjas!! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment