Beautiful Noises Hey Kt - The Never Ever Sway Sway Baby - Short St... Shut Up! - Simple Plan

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

My Bookshelf

Last post, I detailed my summer music playlist. But listening to music isn't all I've done all holidays. I also did a lot of reading. Here's some of the best books on my shelf...
  • Dear John by Nicholas Sparks: I started reading it the day I got it and finished it the day after. I could not put it down. Then I saw the movie on sale for $13 so mum and I went halves. The movie is still good, but it couldn't compare to the book. Books are usually better than the movies, but this one was unanimous.
  • The Notebook (also by Nicholas Sparks): The Notebook is one of my favourite movies. No, scratch that. It is my favourite movie. When I found out it was a book first, I immediately wanted to read it. And I wasn't disappointed. Books may usually be better than the movies, but this time, I almost couldn't decide. Very. Good. Book. I then discovered it had a sequel (The Wedding), so I bought that too, but I haven't read it yet. I will keep you posted!
  • The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephenie Meyer: Don't get me wrong, The Twilight Saga are good books. I thought they were the best books ever when I read Twilight. Then mum introduced me to her stash of books and I realised that good ol' Twilight wasn't as good as some of the books there. But I decided to read Bree Tanner. It was only 168 pages or so, and I needed an easy read for once. It was good, but it couldn't compare with some of the others.
  • Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden: I read it for the first time when I was in Year Eight, and it is easily the best Aussie book I've ever read. I nearly fainted when it became a movie, and I went to see it for my birthday. That movie is now one of my favourites. Now I've seen the movie a few times, and I decided to go back and read the book again. Just as good and gripping as the first time.
  • The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins: These three books are by far the best series I've ever read. Even mum adored them! For anyone who hasn't read them yet- do. You will not be disappointed. I can't wait until the movie comes out. And when it does, I can only hope it does these books justice.
  • A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini: I admit. I didn't read this recently. But I had to add it. It's one of those books that hook you from the first sentence. When mum was telling me, I thought 'Yeah right. How can it?' But sadly- and I hate to say this- I was wrong. I was hooked. And I recommend you read it as soon as humanly possible.
  • My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult: I don't usually cry in books. Movies, yes. Books- I don't know why, but I don't tend to do it much. This book, I did. But during the movie, I didn't. The movie couldn't possibly do the book justice in this case. The ending was completely different. Anyone who hasn't read the book- once again, I suggest you do.
  • The Gone Series by Michael Grant: I picked up the first one, Gone, in the shops a couple of times, thinking it looked like an interesting read. It was, as I found out when I got it for my birthday a few years ago. What would you do if there was no one in your world past the age of fifteen? I got the third, Lies, for Christmas, and now I'm awaiting on the arrival of Plague (the fourth book, not disease!).
So that's my top eight (for now), but I can assure you there will be plenty more stories worth mentioning. Maybe they'll inspire you to write something, like they did me! Comment what your best reads are- I can always do with some more options!

Sayonara, fellow ninjas! xoxo

2 comments:

  1. I love reading too and I have read most of the books on your list. I completely agree about tmrw when the war began. I have read the whole series and loved the movie as well..... But twilight..... C'mon really! Those books and movies are woeful!!!! Harry potter all the way!!
    -manny <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about Harry Potter- but gimme a break, I needed an easy read for once!! Haha, glad to hear you know what I'm talking about! I just finished Tomorrow for the second time so I'm giving it a rest until I've revisited the classics... ie. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte.
    Thanks for reading!! <3

    ReplyDelete